Saturday, November 27, 2021

MY TOP TEN LIST

For years, the television talk show host David Letterman would announce his Top Ten List on his Late Night with David Letterman Show. The very first list on September 18, 1985 was titled “The Top Ten Things That Almost Rhyme with Peas.” The list was always given in reverse countdown order, starting with the funniest at number 10 and culminating in usually the least humorous at number one. Given the time and the season, I would like to reveal my own Top Ten List of the items I Am Most Happy and Grateful to Resume Again Now That the Pandemic Finally Shows Signs of Stopping. I call it My Next To Normal Check List. Number 10: I am able to finally leave my house, even if I must be seen accompanied by my fully documented vaccination card, my butterfly mask and a bevy of grocery bags. Number 9: I have been cautiously optimistic about giving a hug or, dare I say, a kiss to close fully vaccinated family members. Number 8: I have resumed buying gas, when I can afford it, more than once every other month and actually using my GPS with a real destination in mind. Number 7: I have limited myself to no more than one or two Zoom meetings a day and now get dressed on a regular basis. Number 6: Selling insurance, mostly Medicare policies at the moment, has started up again and I have sat in the same room with clients for the most part, even though a recent appointment was conducted outdoors in 40 degree weather. Number 5: I am no longer addicted to Netflix and forced to watch Hallmark’s Christmas in July programming, although I still end each night with an ice cream cone of my choosing. Number 4: I am writing real dates in my calendar of places to go and people to see after living on a desert island for almost two years...and my thirty year project of writing a book is almost done. "Little Thoughts on a Big Planet" is coming soon. Number 3: The magical world of theater is reopening in all its glory and I couldn’t be more delighted, even if every production has Christmas in its title. No Bah Humbug me. Number 2: Holidays are being celebrated once again with family and friends gathering together to create memories and joy. Number 1: How lucky am I to embrace two sisterhoods of women to help me survive during these difficult times: my Healing Circle every Wednesday morning where we pray for the restored good health of others and on Thursdays my lunches with the DGWG, the Delectable Gourmet Writing Group, where delicious food is combined with personal writings that we share in an atmosphere of trust and friendship. Welcome back world, it’s so wonderful to make your acquaintance once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment